February 11, 2020 ‘ Day to promote the education of online safety worldwide’. It is called SID – Safer Internet Day.
On this day, Instagram team is committed to fostering a safe and supportive community for its users. They highlighted some of the ongoing work they have been doing to keep people safe and the tools recently built to give people more control over their Instagram experience.
1.Remove posts that are considered as cyber bullying and offensive
If you intend to remove the post or content from Instagram that may be considered as bullying or offensive and the content goes against Instagram Community Guidelines? It can simply be done by reporting to the Instagram team to review. Instagram keeps the Reporting anonymous, hence the owner of the content will not know who reported them.
- Go to “Settings” in Instagram
- Then tap “Support Requests.”
- From there you can tap any report to see more information about its status
- Can also tap “More Options” for suggested actions to take, like muting, blocking, restricting or unfollowing
2. You Can Appeal For Disabled Account Quickly!
Previously, this option was only available through the Instagram Help Center. Now, the in-app appeal option will automatically appear when you attempt to log in to your disabled account.
- Try login to your disabled account.
- You will get a notification page in your app with ‘Request Review’ option at the bottom
- Once you click, it will show your user name (pre-populated) and you will need to add your full name, e-mail and write a reason why you think Instagram may have made a mistake in disabling your account.
- Finally, tap “Request a Review” to have your disabled account re-reviewed and potentially restored
3. Stop & Preventing Bullying and Harassment
Instagram launched a new tool called Restrict in the year 2019. Once you Restrict an account, you won’t receive any notifications from them. Comments from a restricted account will only be visible to you and the person you have restricted, and messages from a restricted account will automatically get moved to Message Requests. The restricted account will not be able to see when you’ve read their direct messages or when you are active on Instagram.
In addition, Instagram enabled an AI that detects the post of comments potentially offensive. The user then will receive a prompt that the language used is similar to language that has been reported for bullying. They will then have an opportunity to edit the caption or comment before posting.
4. Keep Account More Secured
- Instagram has given a reclaim option to the account that may be hacked. If Instagram detects that you are having trouble logging in, or if you select “Need more help” on the login page, Instagram will automatically help you recover your account.
- Having the option to see all the emails sent from Instagram (Emails from Instagram). Just navigate to Instagram settings, tap “Emails from Instagram” and you will be able to see all recent emails Instagram sent to you. This will help users distinguish legitimate emails sent by Instagram from phishing emails which may appear to come from an official Instagram account.